Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It's a GIRL!

One of the reasons I started a blog is to have a record of Marlee's journey. I am 9 months behind but plan to go back and document the most important moments of those months to be caught up by her cochlear implant surgery date. Did you know we have a date? September 30th!

When I think of recording special moments in my girl 's life, I can't start with a hearing loss diagnosis. I have to start with the sweetest words I think I've ever heard...it's a girl!!

I had a boy name picked out, no girl name yet, but I had trouble envisioning a boy. When I thought of our baby I always pictured a little girl. Of course, I had no way of knowing. Of course, I didn't tell anyone that I thought it might be a girl. In my dreams at night, our baby was a girl. I remember praying that The Lord would make me stop dreaming about a girl baby. I would be happy- thrilled - with a little boy, so I needed to be able to picture a boy just as easily as a girl. But a girl is what I pictured, a nameless girl , but a girl.

May 15, 2012 - such a beautiful, happy day. The weather was perfect, summer was on its way, and Greg and I would leave the doctor's office finally knowing girl or boy! We both took the day off so we would have plenty of time to prepare for the reveal party that night. A white cake mix with blue food coloring and a strawberry cake mix were both waiting for me on the kitchen counter. I could hardly wait to know which cake I would bake.

I was so nervous during the ultrasound that I was shaking (no surprise to those who know me). The nurse actually had me leave the room to stop shaking because she needed me to be still (how embarrassing). I calmed down (kind of), and was filled with thankfulness every time she looked at the monitor and told us "perfect." Relief swept over me as all that really mattered was a healthy baby. I have friends who left this appointment heartbroken after receiving bad news. I was beyond blessed and grateful. When I heard the words, "it's a girl," it was almost too much! I was overjoyed! Not only did we have a healthy baby, but the Lord had given me a lifelong friend in a sweet little girl.

I could hardly wait to meet her! But first we got to throw a party and tell our family....


Greg has two brothers who have sons, so this would be the first girl!

Then, I told my kids at school!


The balloons did not rise, but the kids didn't care!

1 comment:

  1. God is faithful, Melissa! I just want to encourage you on your journey. Did you know that "Simeon" means "God hears" and Leah named Simeon that because he opened her womb. Simeon's language delay was attributed to the fact that he had so many ear infections while he was in the orphanage. One concern with hearing loss is reading ability, but you may recall that Simeon won more than one award for A/R points, so I'm certain that Marlee will be a wonderful reader, too. Also, I am completely deaf in my left ear, and hardly anyone knows it . I'm so glad you know that God does hear you. Be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete