Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Dibble Dibble Dibble Dop

...that's the sound, in Marlee's favorite book, "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?," that Dr. Seuss says rain makes as it drip drops to the ground. Running bath water, on the other hand, makes a much louder sound. A sound Marlee just heard for the first time last week!

We take Marlee's implants off before bathtime because they cannot get wet. She sees the water running (and loves it) but doesn't hear it. We did not realize she had never heard the water until she stood by the bathtub with her implants on last week. When Greg turned the water on, her eyes became as big as saucers, and she quickly backed away. She was nervous until we showed her what the noise was and let her feel the water.

The next night, when Greg started her bath water, I was playing with Marlee in her room. Through her bedroom wall she heard the water come on and, again, startled. She gave me a puzzled look and immediately pointed to her ear - telling me that she wanted to know what was making the sound. I took her to the bathtub so she could see it was the same noise she heard the night before.

I hope I always remember the, usually apprehensive, look on Marlee's face when she hears something new. I love watching her make connections as she intently points to her ear. Watching her discover sounds will never cease to amaze me. I pray Marlee will never take her gift of hearing for granted - I sure don't!

                      Splish Splash!!







No comments:

Post a Comment